My focus has always been on the advancement of leading edge products in both new markets as well as breathing new life into existing markets with new solutions. Early in my career, I was primarily focused on enterprise business (complex hardware and software solutions) and then evolved into web/Internet technologies with increased focus on software and cloud based solutions/services.
As I advanced in my career, my roles also advanced into leadership responsibilities in sales, marketing and overall operational leadership (Sun Microsystems, VERIO, TechFlow, etc).
Demonstrated Sales/Marketing Success
- Consistently exceeded sales targets – final year at Sun achieved $1.1B gross revenues in competitive x86 market with increase in margins of 6% over 24 months
- Increased gross revenues of complex Sun’s x86 blade server products by 20% in 1st quarter of new strategic direction
- Increased sales revenues of desktop PC security products by 20%, while reducing operational costs by 18% (consultant for private software company)
- Defined and implemented new Internet marketing plan for Innovate Automotive Technology products resulting in 20% increase in monthly gross revenues
- Increased revenues at services company (TechFlow) by 30% and improved net margin by 35% during first year through new strategic direction and push to web technologies
- Captured 5 new major partnerships (TechFlow) including Unisys, BiogenIdec and Toshiba
- Developed 9 new Go To Market initiatives for key ISP partnerships developing sell through incremental increase of $70M with multi-year commitments of $300M
- Managed two company acquisition and integrations resulting in 20% increase in gross revenues within 90 days at VERIO
- Generated FIRST profitable VERIO company (out of 63 acquisitions) within 90 days of acquisition (went from $500K/mo in the red to profitable)
Key Evolution of Technology Experience (throughout career)
- Early employee of Sun Microsystems (1990), pivotal platform during early commercial years of the Internet
- Part of Sun’s growth in the Enterprise as we defined client server technology – the birth of open systems
- Integral part of due diligence and management of VERIO (dot com era 1997-1999), ISP who grew from nothing to complete 63 acquisitions in 18 months, then IPO and sale to NTT
- Senior leadership at early SaaS startup company offering entertainment reservations throughout domestic US (golf industry 2000)
- Part of core team determining investment of Sun technology resources into key US Service Providers (over $300million across 12 key partners) – 2001
- Consulted with partners in VC community for both investment due diligence as well as operational restructuring post merger/acquisition (5 companies over 2 years)
- COO for SaaS solution to Federal Government (GSA) procurement system. Increased revenues by 30% and net margin by 35% first year – TechFlow 2004
- Consulted to several retail sales companies regarding strategic direction and web/mobile marketing solutions. 2005-2008
- Global Director for Sun Microsystems responsible for all x86 product sales (blade and rack). Primary market into web services companies. $1.1B sales of x86 products alone (2010)
The foundation of my career thus far has been centered around maintaining a strong understanding of emerging technologies and quickly identifying areas where those technologies could be applied TODAY to solve real business challenges.